Nimrata is a virtue that is vigorously promoted by Gurbani. The literal translation of this Punjabi word is “Humility”, or “Benevolence”. The other four qualities in the arsenal are: Truth (Sat), Contentment (Santokh), Compassion (Daya) and Love (Pyar). These five qualities are essential to a Sikh and it is their duty to meditate and recite the Gurbani so that these virtues become a part of their personality.
The importance given to Humility in Sikhism can be seen from the following Shabads from Guru Granth Sahib:
- The fruit of humility is intuitive peace and pleasure. My True Guru has given me this gift. ((1)(Pause)) (Guru Granth Sahib Page 235 line 10264)
- The God-conscious being shall never perish. The God-conscious being is steeped in humility. (Guru Granth Sahib Page 273 line 12219)
- First, is the Lord’s Praise; second, contentment; third, humility, and fourth, giving to charities. Fifth is to hold one’s desires in restraint. These are the five most sublime daily prayers. (Guru Granth Sahib Page 1084 line 46506)
- Lacking truth and humility, they shall not be appreciated in the world hereafter. (Guru Granth Sahib Page 1245 line 53551)
- Humility is the word, forgiveness is the virtue, and sweet speech is the magic mantra.
Wear these three robes, O sister, and you will captivate your Husband Lord. ((127)) (Guru Granth Sahib Page 1384 line 59047)
- The armor of self-restraint, truth, contentment and humility can never be pierced. (Guru Granth Sahib Page 1397 line 59445)
- He chants and meditates, and practices austerity and good deeds. He keeps to the Dharma, with faith, humility and contentment. (Guru Granth Sahib Page 1411 line 59901)
And if you do not practise humility, truth, abstinence or self-discipline then what is in store for you:
- You do not practice truth, abstinence, self-discipline or humility; the ghost within your skeleton has turned to dry wood…..
When the Messenger of Death grabs you by your hair, you will be punished. You are unconscious, and have fallen into Death’s mouth. ((3)) (Guru Granth Sahib Page 906 line 38915)